Sunday, April 2, 2017

My "Spring Round" Goals

The second round of ROW80 is finally here!  I’ve been looking forward to getting this 80-day writing challenge started again.  ROW80 is the only writing challenge that I’ve tried that has kept me consistently writing.  Writing to this blog twice a week helps me clarify my writing goals, which forces me to prioritize my time so that I can implement all the actionable steps necessary to accomplish that goal.  It has taught me that publishing words to a deadline is a habit that all authors must acquire.  Putting my intentions here keeps me accountable to myself and the world.  It forces me to be disciplined and consistent.  Most of my most productive writing has come while participating in the ROW80 challenge.  It is my intention to return to that level of production during the next 80 days.

Goals for ROW80 (Round 2)
My goal for the “Spring Round” of ROW80 is to write a heroic fantasy novel set within my “sword & sorcery” story-world.  During this 80 day writing challenge, I plan on writing approximately 80,000 words toward my novel (averaging 1,000 words per day).  I am re-imagining one of my short stories, expanding it into a full-length novel.  In order to do that, I will have to expand the scope and up the stakes, intensify the opposition, add a character-arc, and weave-in a subplot with a possible love interest.  Essentially, I’m starting from scratch with an old idea, creating an “origins story” for one of my characters.  I am concurrently participating in Camp NaNoWriMo during the the month of April, where I will be brainstorming, world-building and plotting the basic story-structure of my novel.   Here is my Camper Profile if you want to follow my progress there.  After April, I will further develop and refine my story during the remainder of the 80-day challenge.

“When writing a first draft I remind myself that I’m simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles.”
— Shannon Hale

That’s all for now.  Keep the Fire Burning!
Please visit the other writers in the ROW80 Community

2 comments:

  1. 80,000 words in a month! That's an impressive goal, one that I hope you do achieve. Having that list of resolutions on the right hand side of your blog reinforces that first, big writing goal. I always am intrigued (and have fun) with that April writing challenge, but this year declined to participate so that I could focus on finishing my current wip. But those first-draft-days are so fun. I hope you enjoy every moment of world-building throughout Round 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, clear goals, Jon! And it's lovely to see you back around these parts - seems like it's been a while!

    Slices of an Unschooling Life
    @shanjeniah
    Indie Writer, Mom-in-Chief, and Joyful Learning Facilitator
    Shan Jeniah's Lovely Chaos

    ReplyDelete