Sunday, January 10, 2016

My “Core Four”

For the foreseeable future, I’m going to be focusing my energy and passion into developing my four pulp-serials, which I call my “Core Four.”  Each individual “sword & sorcery” series will be modeled after the pulp-magazine serialized-adventures that were popular in the 1930’s.  I hope to emulate the style and tone of the great pulp-master, Robert E. Howard, founder of the “sword & sorcery” fantasy genre and creator of such fantasy legends as Conan the Barbarian and Solomon Kane.  I’ve been re-reading many of his pulp-serials in order to study their basic story structure.  Most of stories were written for the pulp-magazine, Weird Tales, where his stories ranged from ten-thousand to twenty-thousand words, and were meant to be read in one sitting.  They featured an established semi-competent hero, a far-superior opponent, and a minimal cast of extras (no subplots).  The story usually starts with fast-paced action (in medias res) and increases in intensity as the hero actively pursues an emotionally important goal.   He encounters relentless opposition, faces seemingly insurmountable obstacles, and has major setbacks towards his goals.  Yet, at the end, through dogged-determination and innate-skill, he cleverly outwits and defeats his opponents, claims his prize and saves the the girl, all in one emotionally-satisfying climactic scene.  I been wanting to write these pulp-serials for a long time now, so while I’m still learning how to write (and finish) a story, I might as well have some fun writing action-adventure.  I have four distinctive hero-archetypes that I hope to develop and explore further.

My “Core Four”
These are the base hero-archetypes that I want to build personalities upon.  These nameless characters are in the rawest stage of development and will evolve over time.  For now, here are the symbolic representations I have of them so far.   The hero-archetype descriptions below come from Heroes & Heroines; Sixteen Master Archetypes by Tami D. Cowden, which I’ve previously referenced here.  Note: A [bracketed word] means that the idea is conceptual at this point, or that it is yet unnamed.

Pulp-Serial 1: the [Warrior] Serial
Hero Archetype: the “Warrior” and the “Lost Soul” combined

Pulp-Serial 2: the [Rogue] Serial
Hero Archetype: the “Swashbuckler” and the “Bad Boy” combined

Pulp-Serial 3: the [Huntress] Serial
Heroine Archetype: the “Boss”

Pulp-Serial 4: the [Sorceress] Serial
Heroine Archetype: the “Crusader”

I’ll explain more about these characters and some story-ideas I have for them in my next ROW80 post.  Until then, please visit the other writers in the ROW80 Community.
Keep the Fire Burning!

1 comment: