Sunday, July 19, 2015

Plotting and Plodding Along

Two weeks into ROW80 (Round 3) and I’m still trying to outline the various stories I have for my “Sword & Sorcery” universe.  Either time is racing by too quickly or I’m just a slow writer (maybe both, probably neither).  Actually, I’ve learned some valuable lessons about story-crafting this week.  I’ve learned that outlining is a whole different mindset from idea-creation.  Up until now, I’ve let my Muse run wild in the wilderness so that she can freely create fascinating characters and situations for my story-world.  She has done a wonderful job so far and I thank her for that.  It’s always best to keep my Muse and my Inner-Editor separated from each other if any story-crafting is to get done.  My Inner-Editor doesn’t play nicely with her, so I keep him locked away in a dark cage while she’s frolicking in the sunshine.  But now that I have a few basic characters and story-ideas, I need to take the next step and give them story structure.  That’s where my Inner-Editor comes in.  So out from his cage comes my Inner-Editor and into the shadows hides my Muse.  It’s his job to organize my Muse’s chaotic mess of fragmented ideas and concepts and to try to put them into some sort of coherent story-telling structure.  His analytical-mind gives direction and form to her ethereal creations.  I’m learning that this process takes longer than I had expected it to take.  Whereas my Muse’s creative-mind is agile and fluid, my Inner-Editor’s analytical-mind is slow and methodical.  This probably explains my slow progress right now.  But that's okay.  That’s how it should be, I guess.  After all, outlining is one the most important aspects of story-crafting, so I can't just skim over it.  It’s the spine of my story-skeleton.  Once this outlining process is relatively complete, I will shove my Inner-Editor back into his cold, dank dungeon where he can do little harm to the creative process.  I’ll then coax my Muse out of the shadows again so that she can scamper within the boundaries of the new playground he has built for her.  So that’s where I am right now; hyper-analyzing every story possibility with my Inner-Editor.  I’ve made some good progress towards a couple of my stories this week.  Most of my previously created characters have been just standing around, waiting for their first adventure.  Well, this week, my Inner-Editor has giving one of my main characters purpose.  This hero has been matched with a worthy opponent, both of them having conflicting story-goals.  Knowing the opposition has made structuring his first story easier.  I’m still trying to decide on the main dramatic situation and possible subplots, but I’ve made headway with this particular character.  I’ll detail that progress more in my next post.
His eyes swept the blood-stained ranks, seeking expressions of wrath or jealousy.  He saw none.  The fury was gone from the ebon faces.  He realized that to these men Bêlit was more than a woman; a goddess whose will was unquestioned.  He glanced at the Argus, wallowing in the crimson sea-wash, heeling far over, her decks awash, held up by the grappling-irons.  He glanced at the blue-fringed shore, at the far green hazes of the ocean, at the vibrant figure which stood before him; and his barbaric soul stirred within him.  To quest these shining blue realms with that white-skinned young tiger-cat — to love, laugh, wander and pillage — “I’ll sail with you,” he grunted, shaking the red drops from his blade.
— (Excerpt from, Queen of the Black Coast, by Robert E. Howard)
That’s all for now.  Keep the Fire Burning!
Please visit the other writers in the ROW80 Community

3 comments:

  1. I like your description of your Muse and Inner-Editor... mine are more like WWF wrestlers, always tagging each other off as they hold my sanity pinned to the mat. ;-)

    Congrats on your character's newly achieved purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my Muse and Inner-Editor are interesting characters. She’s a capricious debutante; shy and elusive at first, but playfully free-spirited once evoked. He’s a take-charge, no-nonsense drill-sergeant type; boisterous and opinionated. His lion’s-roar gruffness startles her gazelle-like sensibilities. He grumbles while she retreats. Keeping them physically separated from each other is the only way I can get any story-crafting done. They'd never openly admit it to each other, but I think they secretly admire each others skills and talents. They'd deny it, of course, and continue to complain about the others shortcomings, but I know better. Best not to bring up the subject. I’ll just keep it to myself and smirk, because I know the truth — Chaos and Order aren't enemies, only opposites.

      Delete
    2. The pendulum needs each pull to stay in motion.

      Delete