Thursday, June 25, 2015

One Final Excerpt

Hurray!  I made it to the end of Round 2 of ROW80; the first of many yet to come.  I'll see you all in eleven days.  So, until then, here is one final excerpt from my favorite author (yeah, you guessed it). 

“Quick!  Into this door!” the girl cried desperately, running across the corridor and throwing open the door of a chamber.
Conan followed her through, and then threw the gold catch behind them.  They stood in an ornately furnished chamber, empty but for themselves, and she drew him to a gold-barred window, through which he saw trees and shrubbery.
“You are strong,” she panted.  “If you can tear these bars away, you may yet escape.  The garden is full of guards, but the shrubs are thick, and you may avoid them.  The southern wall is also the outer wall of the city.  Once over that, you have a chance to get away.  A horse is hidden for you in a thicket beside the road that runs westward, a few hundred paces to the south of the fountain of Thrallos.  You know where it is?”
“Aye!  But what of you? I had meant to take you with me.” 
A flood of joy lighted her beautiful face. 
“Then my cup of happiness is brimming!  But I will hamper your escape.  Burdened with me you would fail.  Nay, do not fear for me.  They will never suspect that I aided you willingly.  Go!  What you have said will glorify my life throughout the long years.” 
He caught her up in his iron arms, crushed her slim, vibrant figure to him and kissed her fiercely on eyes, cheeks, throat and lips, until she lay panting in his embrace; gusty and tempestuous as a storm-wind, even his love-making was violent. 
“I’ll go,” he muttered.  “But by Crom, I’ll come for you some day!”
— (Excerpt from The Hour of the Dragon, by Robert E. Howard)

Keep the Fire Burning!
Please visit the other writers in the ROW80 Community

2 comments: